RareField Design/Build (formerly Paxton Gate Design/Build) is an Award-Winning firm located on Valencia Street in San Francisco’s Mission District. Our design portfolio ranges from Landscapes and Outdoor Spaces, to Residential Remodels, Hospitality and Office Spaces. In nearly 28 years in business we’ve designed and built scores of residential gardens—big and small—and even put our mark on the interiors of notable commercial spaces including Flour + Water, Central Kitchen, Le Marais Bakery, Handline and others.
We’re a small office that works closely with open collaboration on every project while allowing autonomy for our designers. We have a fulltime team of skilled builders ready to fabricate our designs and help our clients realize their dreams. As a Designer at RareField, you’ll be involved in every part of the process from qualifying a lead, to the initial site visit, schematic review through construction documents and construction administration. In short, you’re not just a cog in the machine. The bulk of our projects are seen through by a single designer, whose vision for the project, along with the desires of the client, budget, and our core design aesthetic, will guide it from start to finish. If you’d like to join a collaborative, multi-disciplinary team please read on.
Our goal is to find the best candidate, and for that reason we’re looking for a great applicant to come in at either the Associate Designer or Lead Designer level. No matter what level you come in, RareField presents an opportunity for growth, knowledge, and advancement in your field.
WHAT WE NEED (REQUIREMENTS)
- All Applicants must have AutoCAD, Adobe Suite and Microsoft Office proficiency
- Associate Designer Apps: Ability to design outdoor spaces and structures with at least a rudimentary understanding of building techniques and the ability to produce accurate construction drawings. 3 years min.
- Lead Designer: The above plus a thorough understanding of construction techniques for typical outdoor, wooden structures. Some experience with concrete and metal is a plus. Experience dealing with grading and drainage. Some knowledge of local code requirements is ideal. 5 to 10 years’ related experience.
WHAT YOU GET (REMUNERATION)
- This is a full-time, permanent position. This is not a contract position.
- Pay commensurate with experience, education and whether you hold a license.
- Full benefits including Health Care, Paid Holidays, Sick Leave, and more.
- Work hours are generally 9 to 5, M-F but we’re open to variations and are flexible.
Covid-19 Note: Currently, given the state of the pandemic, we’ll likely need you to work from home either using your own computer or a company desktop computer will be supplied. We have systems in place to receive company phone calls on cell phones and/or via your computer. We can meet remotely. We can access our servers remotely but must print physical copies in the office. We do conduct onsite visits as needed but keep them to a minimum and do so following strict safety protocols. It’s a strange time to hire and for you to join a new team, but we’re busier than we’ve ever been, so we’re looking to grow despite the remote working challenges. If working from home presents challenges for you, let us know and we’re happy to discuss options.
WHAT TO DO IF YOU FEEL YOU’RE QUALIFIED
- Submit a cover letter, resume, samples of your work and any questions by email or mail (RareField Design/Build, 870 Valencia Street, SF 94110)
- No drop-ins please.
Rare Landscape Construction Foreman/Lead
Are you a skilled craftsperson with a critical eye for details? Are you driven to reflect upon your work and improve, and to help others to do the same? Are you looking for a firm where these skills will be appreciated and supported, where you can contribute to the shared success of the team and to a firm where there is plenty of room for growth?
With nearly 30 years in the business, RareField Design/Build (formerly Paxton Gate Design/Build) has a portfolio of beautiful work, and plenty more on the boards. We are looking to find a belts-on Lead or Foreman who answers “yes” to the the questions above. In your role at RareField, you will manage and work side-by-side with a small team while producing high quality, carpentry-heavy gardens. You’ll experience the pride of overseeing the construction of projects that dramatically transform spaces and clients’ lives, all while we endeavor to change the stereotypes associated with the construction industry. If this feels like a unique opportunity to you, if it feels right, please read on.
We are a General Contracting and Design-Build firm with a focus on outdoor spaces. We take great pride in each project from initial concept through Design, Construction, and including Fine Gardening and follow-up Maintenance Services. We value our clients and our crew and endeavor to keep everyone on our team fully employed throughout the year. If you would like to be a respected member of a tight-knit crew, working on some of the best projects in San Francisco, please respond by sending a Cover Letter and Resume detailing your experience and motivation. Feel free to include some photos of your work as part of your application.
We offer a competitive pay for qualified applicants and a complete package of benefits including Healthcare, Holiday Pay, Sick Pay, and Vacation, as well as other perks.
Please be sure to check out our Website and Social Media Accounts to see examples of our work here and at https://www.facebook.com/RarefieldSF/.
Position requirements below:
- Required: 7+ years of relevant, professional carpentry and garden experience.
- Required: Ability to lead a team, mobilize subs and create punch lists and schedules to effectively run a project.
- Required: Exterior/Interior Framing through finish Carpentry Skills, especially regarding Decks, Fences, other Outdoor Structures, Windows, and Doors.
- Required: A positive attitude and respect for the collaborative nature of the work.
- Required: A truck or van capable of hauling lumber and materials. (We typically use delivery services but reimburse for mileage when an employee vehicle is used).
- Experience with stone walls, stone patios and other masonry
- Experience installing modern drip irrigation, sweating copper, and landscape lighting.
- Experience with proper soil preparation and planting, as well as familiarity with locally appropriate plant-stock.
WHAT TO DO IF YOU FEEL YOU’RE QUALIFIED
Submit a cover letter, resume, samples of your work and any questions by email or mail (RareField Design/Build, 870 Valencia Street, SF 94110)
No drop-ins please.